|Posted by [email protected] on November 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM|
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families, the first responders and the people of Ghana during this tragedy," a statement issued by the Embassy said. It said the Embassy had provided a 40 KV mobile generator with two 250 watts metal highlight lights to assist National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) personnel in their continuing efforts to locate and extract the remaining victims of the collapsed building. Nine people have so far been confirmed dead in Wednesday morning's disaster when the five-storey building collapsed. Mr Prince Billy Anaglate, Deputy Public Relations Officer of the Ghana Fire Service (GNFS), said 76 people had been rescued from the ruins of the building.
Meanwhile, a nine-man Israeli rescue mission yesterday joined the Ghanaian team at the disaster site to assist in locating and extracting any remaining survivors. The team, whose plane landed at 13:37 hours yesterday, was briefed by some Ghanaian officials at the site.
President John Dramani Mahama accepted an offer from Israel to help locate and extract any remaining survivors in the collapsed Melcom shopping mall disaster. A statement yesterday signed by Mr John Jinapor, Presidential Spokesperson, said the Israeli team would be working in close collaboration with the detachment from the Field Engineer Regiment of the Ghana Army currently at the site.
The rescue team includes the Field Engineer Regiment, GNFS, NADMO and other emergency institutions, including the Ghana Police and the National Ambulance Service.
Mr. Jinapor said the team would make an initial assessment of the site using special equipment and sniffer dogs that would help identify the locations of possible survivors or corpses. An additional team of about 150 with additional equipment including field hospitals, concrete cutters among others are on standby to move to Ghana should the initial assessment deem it necessary.
President Mahama on Wednesday suspended his campaign tour to the Upper East Region and flew to Accra following news of the collapsed building. Candidates of the other parties have also suspended their campaigns.